Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A day to remember

I am so thankful that my mom took the kids and I out and about today. It helped me keep my mind off of what today is... Today is the 5th anniversary of my Pop Pop passing away. I remember that day very vividly. I was at a school conference when I heard that he had a stroke and I rushed home and skipped the rest of the conference. I spent the day and evening by his bedside with my family. I am so thankful that I was able to say goodbye even if he wasn't able to do the same back. I know that he was thinking the same thing.

Bryce's middle name is Albert after my grandfather... he reminds me of him with some of his mannerisms as well. Brian and I believe that Bryce is the spirit of my grandfather. We were trying to get pregnant for months before my grandfather died; however, we found out right afterwards that we were pregnant. I wish that my grandfather could have met both of my kids, but I know that he looks after them everyday. I can tell by watching my grandmother with them... how much he would have enjoyed spending time with them. Bryce and my grandfather would have loved riding around on his tractor together... those are some of my fondest memories... my grandfather sticking all 5-6 grandchildren on the trailer behind the tractor and driving us around the yard and development. (I say 5-6 because I don't remember if Deidre was too young or not to go for the rides). Clara has my grandfather's funny mannerisms. He used to try to get under certain people's skin by what he would say, but it would be in good fun. I can see Clara doing that as well.

Bye Bye... be good now... (what my grandfather would say to us everytime we left)

Tonight I am grateful for...

Pop Pop and all my memories of him
Bryce
Clara
Bryce carrying on his spirit and body mannerisms
Clara carrying on his funny mannerisms
Time with Grandma... may we have many, many, many more years together
Mom for keeping my mind off of today
Taking time to memorialize my grandfather and how much he meant to me
Pop Pop still watching over us
Bunnies... everytime I see one, I think of Pop Pop
Bye bye.. be good now!

No comments:

09 10